Week 4: Nick's Winning Dish

It's Friday which means another week has flown by and it's time to create a new menu for the following week. Before we do that, Nick voted on his favorite dish of this week and it's....a tie!



Between the Garlic Butter Scallops with Creamed Spinach and the Duck Breast with a Blackberry Wine Sauce, Creamy Potato Stacks with Garlic, Thyme, and Parmesan, and Green beans, Nick said the scallops had a slight edge but he has a special place in his heart for duck. 

I'm not a huge seafood fan but Nick begged me to make these scallops once he saw them posted on Veuve Clicquot's Instagram (recipe by Half Baked Harvest) so I reluctantly agreed. Swimming in a creamy sauce laced with wilted spinach, it's definitely not healthy but a decadent dish worthy of a fine bottle of white. 

Duck is one of our favorite dishes so I have been making it more frequently after I learned how easy it is to sear up a beautiful breast in a cast iron pan. I've been playing with different sauces—a l'orange is a bit too citrusy/sweet for my taste; a classic wine sauce is always good but needs a little something extra to really elevate the dish. This time, I added blackberries, thyme, and honey to red wine and it was probably the best sauce yet. 

The other contenders for this week included:

Steak Frites
Oven Fried Southern Hot Honey Chicken, Coleslaw, and Sourdough Biscuits
Chicken Pad Thai
Cheese Board with a Fried Wheel of Brie

Comments

Popular Posts