My apartment is a hell hole

Since the last time I wrote, I've dealt with many more problems in my apartment.

I went two months without gas in my building, so I couldn't cook or do laundry. I was without hot water for a week but that thankfully that was turned back on. My super and management company failed to give me answers but instead reiterated that it was because of a severe gas leak that was too complex to explain. But I never saw any work being done and I was still paying full rent, even though gas is included in my rent. I brought a bag of stinky laundry onto the subway, into work, to do it at my boyfriend's apartment in Manhattan.

I finally filed a report with the city and a health inspector came out to investigate. Out of 85 families in my building, I was the only one who complained. Why? They didn't know 311 existed. Or maybe there's other underlying issues (like illegal immigration) preventing them from seeking action.

I brought the health inspector into my apartment to show him other problems, like the giant hole in my bathroom ceiling that my super has failed to fix, and he issued two violations against my management company for lack of gas and the hole. Two weeks later, my gas was back.

Another health inspector came by to inspect the violations and noticed my hole was still there so he said the city will provide a contractor to fix it. To track back, the hole has been there for a long time because of a leak. I showed it to my super several times saying he "fixed" it and that my bathroom was leaking into the apartment below me because I'm showering with the shower curtain open. Um, no. Eventually, the whole ceiling collapsed into my bathtub and he finally admitted he needed to call a plumber. The leak stopped but he never came back to patch up the hole.

Yesterday I came home and my ceiling was good as new! I wasn't home so I don't know who fixed it, a contractor or the super, which does worry me. But I was happy.

This morning I woke up and went into the kitchen to make coffee. My kitchen cabinets were dripping. I opened them up and saw the ceiling inside was leaking. If it's not one problem, it's another.

I wrote to my management company demanding a large rent reduction. If they fail to do so I'll have to take legal action.

Comments

Popular Posts