Alliteration Week & Living in a Catch-22

Has it really been almost a month since my last post? It's not like I'm too busy to write. It's quite the opposite.

Thing is I'm living in a catch-22. This whole quarantine scenario has made my insomnia worse and I think it's because I'm not mentally stimulated like I normally am. I like to keep busy and have a packed calendar of work and social events. My body doesn't know what to do with all this sitting around and doesn't know when it's time to sleep. But then I sit on my couch like a zombie all day in a state of sleep deprivation. I'm bored but too tired to do anything. But I need to do things in order to sleep. See my problem?

It hasn't stopped me from cooking. A girl's gotta eat. 

I made a jalapeno cheddar sourdough loaf that was unbelievable. Accidentally bought a 4-cheese ravioli with gorgonzola which I can't stand but had to eat anyway. Made chili oil from scratch for some wontons that had tears running down our face from the heat. Braised Korean short ribs and realized the liquid ran out before I took it out of the oven, leaving a fun, sticky mess in my dutch oven. Made a batch of sourdough bagels that poofed so much they lost their holes. At least that didn't affect the taste. 

Nick sometimes makes a face when I suggest a menu item. Either it's too healthy, boring, or doesn't consist of enough meat or cheese. I convince him otherwise and it ends up being the meal of the week. Like the tomato galette with honeyed goat cheese and caramelized shallots I made. As he watched me make it he kept repeating "light on the tomatoes" but it only took one bite for him to declare it the winner.

 
After the lackluster Restaurant Week I vowed to impart more flavor and excitement into my next menu. I had deemed it Alliteration Week:

Saucy Sunday - ravioli with brown butter sage, spinach, & walnuts

Meatless Monday - cauliflower Lebanese bowl

Taco Tuesday - carne asada tacos

Wonton Wednesday - pork wontons in chili oil

Throwback Thursday - Peruvian chicken skewers with aji verde (repeat dish)

Freebie Friday - ordered in

Southern Saturday - shrimp po'boys on sourdough NOLA French bread

I suggested the cauliflower Lebanese rice bowl with tahini for Meatless Monday which Nick wasn't too excited about. He ate the whole bowl. The aji verde sauce for the chicken skewers was also thrown on the cauliflower bowl and it's made with a large handful of cilantro, his enemy. Just shows how much flavors can change when mixed together. 

We're headed off on a Western adventure next week and I CANNOT wait for a change of scenery. I hope it helps my sleep!


Comments

  1. Hello danielle Jean. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well know you and about your interest and the secret of you being happiest when you eat. Yes that can be seen through your blog post presentaton. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richset of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us du ring your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience as well as you will enjoy the spicy and very testy Indian food. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinking?

Popular Posts